HISTORICAL SOCIETY & MUSEUM, Inc.
Bear Creek has always been a major factor in the development of the North Point, transporting people, animals and supplies throughout the peninsula since before its settlement in the late 17th century. It was named for its bear population, which became non-existent shortly after the arrival of settlers and farmers of the following century. Other wildlife like fox, pheasant, quail, raccoon and mallards are not as abundant as they once were, but still inhabit land that was once part of the Todd’s Farm.
By the late 19th century, merchants used the area to pick up the vegetables that were grown on the surrounding farmlands. Boats would sail up Bear Creek and into the coves to receive the produce and deliver it to Baltimore. In fact, remnants of the piers still can be seen in the coves.
Homeowners have always prized the remarkable shoreline of its many coves and inlets.
The Patapsco-Back River Neck Railroad connected locals to other points of commerce, as well. In 1952, the PBRR established the east belt line that supplied Bethlehem Steel at Sparrows Point. The Wise Avenue Bridge spans Bear Creek to connect those areas with the
heart of Dundalk.
Sparrows Point Country Club, located on 280 acres off Schoolhouse Cove, was once a clay quarry once owned by Baltimore Brick Company, and has been a signature feature of the community since 1955.
4 Center Place, Dundalk, MD 21222 410.284.2331
Copyright 2017. Dundalk Patapsco Neck Historical Society & Museum, Inc. All Rights Reserved.