Stansbury-Chesterwood was farmed into the early 20th century, when industry and the workforce that followed changed the landscape. With Bethlehem Steel in 1916 came decades of supporting industry including the Patapsco and Back Rivers Railroad, a big, brawny,
gritty and hardworking operation serving Sparrows Point.
Other industries, including trucking and transport companies, remain in the area off Peninsula Expressway near Graves and Flood Roads. But much of the rest of the area was left for ecreation. The 1960s construction of the Peninsula draw bridge connected lower Dundalk and
Sparrows Point but still allows larger vessels and sailboats access to the many inlets and coves of Bear Creek.
Emala Lake, actually a 10-acre hole on the old Emala Farm in Stansbury – was created after
the sand pit had been excavated for fill dirt fused in the approaches to the new Bear Creek Bridge (Wise Avenue). Fed by natural springs just off the Creek, Emala Lake was stocked with over 15,000 pounds of bay fish, rock, flounder and crab. In 1969 it was discovered to be polluted by local industry, but fishing is making its return.
Some features of Stansbury and Chesterwood have been re-named in honor of groups and individuals. Peninsula Expressway was christened as Vietnam Veterans Highway, while the entrance road to Chesterwood Park was re-named as John Shank Way, in appreciation of the many years of service provided by the deceased Baltimore County Rec and Parks supervisor.
Much of Stansbury-Chesterwood’s still seems to be in front of it as new residents settle in the area and more land is developed.
4 Center Place, Dundalk, MD 21222 410.284.2331
HISTORICAL SOCIETY & MUSEUM, Inc.
Copyright 2017. Dundalk Patapsco Neck Historical Society & Museum, Inc. All Rights Reserved.